CBD for Herpes | Ways to use CBD for Herpes to get maximum benefit
Herpes is an infection caused by herpes simplex virus, and you’ll be amazed to realize how it’s tied to CBD treatment. First and foremost, it is vital to understand that while CBD will not completely eliminate this virus from the body, it will aid in the treatment of the symptoms caused by this virus. So, in this way CBD can help you with your herpes related problems.
In March 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) and partners published a study suggesting that 5% of the world’s population (187 million people) had at least one episode of herpes-related genital ulcer illness in 2016. According to WHO, HSV-1 infection affects around 3.7 billion people under the age of 50(67%) worldwide and HSV-2 infection affects 491 million people globally (13%) between the ages of 15 and 49.
Herpes is the most prevalent STI (sexually transmitted illness), and many people remain unaware that they have got infected by it. It will be with you for the rest of your life once you have it.
Herpes as you know caused by herpes simplex virus. People had known it as oral herpes or genital herpes. Let me clear, this virus is of 2 types namely, HSV-1 and HSV-2. Oral herpes and genital herpes are the conditions caused by HSV-1 and HSV-2 respectively.
MANY PEOPLE ASK WHETHER GENITAL HERPES CAN BE CAUSED BY HSV-1 OR IT IS ONLY BY HSV-2. Then, clearing your point, it is founded that 50% of the genital herpes cases are due to HSV-1. So, it can’t be consider that if you are having genital sores then it must be because of HSV-2. It is important to figure out the main cause and the only method to figure out which strain of the virus is producing sores/blisters is to take a swab and have it tested in a lab.back to menu ↑
What are the symptoms?
It is difficult to identify this virus as most of the time it remains asymptomatic. Herpes symptoms may occur and disappear, but that doesn’t indicate the virus has gone away; it can still spread to others even if it’s not visible, because once it’s in your body, it’s there for life.
According to the condition you are having, you can vary in symptoms from a person suffering from genital herpes. Possible symptoms for the oral herpes can be:
- Painful blisters known as ulcers nearby mouth area.
- Cold sores that are the sores on lips.
- Before sores emerge, infected people often experience a tingling, stinging, or burning sensation around their mouth.
- The sores normally persist 2 to 3 weeks.
Blisters or ulcers may reappear after the primary infection has healed. Most of the oral herpes are caused by HSV-1 only.
Moving to the symptoms of genital herpes:
- Genital ulcers
- In addition to it, fever, body pain, and swollen lymph nodes are also its symptoms.
- Genital herpes can also cause vaginal discharge alterations and pain when urinating.
- Before genital ulcers emerge, HSV-2 infected persons may suffer minor tingling or burning pain in their legs, hips, and glutes.
- These symptoms can last somewhere between 2 to 6 weeks.
Both HSV-1 and HSV-2 can cause this herpes. Unlike genital herpes caused by herpes simplex virus type2, genital herpes caused by HSV-1 does not reoccur frequently. So it can be said that HSV-1 genital herpes is less severe when comparing to the other one. This virus lies inactive in cell bodies in the oral and genital regions for most of the time.
Conditions like Stress and infections (both of which weaken the immune system) can, however, trigger the virus to reactivate. This results in the characteristic blisters and sores. Living with these blisters and sores could be painful and CBD can give you instant relief which is hardly given by the other conventional cures of herpes.back to menu ↑
Modes of Transmission
As said earlier that it is sexually transmitted disease so it got transferred by sexual contact. But what confuses people is its type. Both type of virus have different mode of transmission.
- HSV-1 transmitted through oral contact with the already infected person. This will mainly cause oral herpes.
- HSV-1 causing genital herpes might come from oral-genital contact.
- HSV-2 is primarily transferred during intercourse, by contact with infected person’s genital surfaces, lesions, or fluids.
Between the period when symptoms initially develop and when they heal, the virus is most contagious. When asymptomatic, a person can still spread the infection.
You may have been aware that there is currently no way to completely eradicate the virus. The only thing that can be done to help is to alleviate the symptoms or pain produced by the infection. Other than the conventional treatment of herpes, CBD is emerging as good suppressing source of the pain cause by it and also act as immunity booster which eventually will heal the disease naturally.back to menu ↑
Treatment other than CBD
- Mostly recommended Antiviral medication like Acyclovir (Zovirax, Sitavig) that works to suppress the HSV virus.
- Other antiviral drugs like Valtrex and Famvir work to stop the activity of HSV.
- There is recommendation of the things building strong immune systems.
- Some home remedies included:
- Pain/soreness relief with over-the-counter pain relievers (acetaminophen, ibuprofen)
- Lemon lip balms and lemon tea compresses can be used to heal open sores.
- Rhubarb, sage, peppermint, mint, and witch hazel oils are all natural herbs that can be used to get help in painful conditions.
- Natural antiviral like licorice root can also be used.
- a glass of milk (which contains lysine and antibodies)
- Vitamin E and Vitamin C-rich meals which help the immune system and fight infections.
CBD is appearing on the top in providing therapeutic benefits. As you might be thinking, are the foundations of what they are saying true or they are fallacious, and made just to boost up the market of CBD. As research on CBD is ongoing, several human clinical trials are undertaken for different ailments. Though some of the properties of CBD are merely descriptive, they may or may not correspond to CBD in practice. Still, there is a lot to discover about it.
In relevance to herpes, let’s have a look on CBDs scientific approvals.
- A review in 2020 came, concluded that CBD has ability to minimize neuroinflammation in a virus-induced animal model of multiple sclerosis and also approved the use of CBD for the treatment of hepatitis C and Kaposi sarcoma.
- It suggested that claims regarding the use of CBD in the treatment of oral and genital herpes are possible due to CBD’s anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, and therefore deserve clinical analysis.
- There was a research came in 2018, The anti-inflammatory effects of CBD were illustrated in a study published in the Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics. CBD controls immune system responses in experimental models by regulating the synthesis of cytokines, which are one of the most important pro-inflammatory substances and this property can help in healing the painful blisters.
- A study in 2019 came in which there were human clinical trials of CBD topical for treatment of chronic inflammatory skin conditions. All inflammation-related symptoms such as soreness, redness, and itchiness improved significantly. The study concluded that using topical CBD to strengthen one’s quality of life and treat inflammatory skin conditions is a safe way to do so.
- In another article, 2014 researchers evaluated that CBD exerts anti-inflammatory properties. Because of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of CBD it can help in healing cold sores and some other skin issues.
Till date no human trial is there which approves that CBD particularly treat herpes. But there are several anecdotal experiences which prove that it do well in healing the symptoms. Its anti- inflammatory and anti-viral properties assures that it will definitely help in treating inflamed skin conditions and will also aid in reducing pain related things. Its safe application on skin gave confidence to people for using it.back to menu ↑
How it Works for Herpes?
Being a cannabinoid, with no psychoactive active it affects the ECS of human body. Endocannabinoids and cannabinoid receptors are the two components of the endocannabinoid system.
Endocannabinoids are neurotransmitters that bind to cannabinoid receptors in all of the body’s tissues. CB1 and CB2 are the two forms of cannabinoid receptors. CB2 is found in peripheral tissues, the gastrointestinal system, and the immune system, while CB1 is concentrated in the brain.
CB2 receptor activation has anti-inflammatory properties. CBD stimulates cannabinoid receptors and may also avoid the degradation of endocannabinoids by an indirect and complex mechanism, making it a promising therapeutic agent for inflammatory skin conditions including cold sores.
CBD when applied on infected area, its anti-inflammatory properties are due to its inhibition of NF-B signaling. NF-B is involved in the initiation of an inflammatory cascade as a transcription factor (a protein that controls how quickly genetic information from DNA is transferred to messenger RNA in a cell). This protein regulates the expression of chemokines and cytokines, such as interleukins, interferons, tumour necrosis factors, and lymphokines, which are pro-inflammatory factors.
CBD controls the development of cytokines, which are one of the most important pro-inflammatory substances, and thus regulates immune system responses.
Considering CBD’s anti viral properties, Hepatitis C replication was discovered to be inhibited by the antiviral activity of CBD that binds to CB1 receptors. So these receptors could be used as antiviral drug targets.
Possessing antioxidant properties, its ability to neutralize free radicals makes it an effective treatment for cold sores and other inflammatory skin conditions.
In nutshell, CBD’s anti- inflammatory, anti-oxidant and anti- viral property makes it fit for treating symptoms of herpes. Its ability to boost up immune system by interacting CB2 receptors also aids for the same.back to menu ↑
How to Use CBD for Herpes?
It can be use in the form of oil and topical. These are the most reliable way to treat the skin’s painful lesions caused by herpes. People do vape or smoke it, administering it by smoking and sublingually can increase its bioavailability.
As it is crystal clear that CBD is not the total cure for herpes, it only deals with the viral effects of herpes. So, smoking or sublingually administration may not have that prominent effect on your open sores which are required to be healed.
If talking about its DOSAGE, there is no dose fixed for CBD aiding any condition. But it is found that high doses could give possible side effects. To avoid indulging in these kinds of side effects, in relevance to herpes CBD’s application on infected area can be considered best as there is no issue to keep on checking the dosage you have taken. On the bases of scientific evidences, it is purely safe to use CBD oil and CBD infused topical for the healing of certain skin infections.
CBD in topical form may help people with herpes alleviate the pain and suffering associated with herpes outbreaks. Topical CBD products, such as salves, lip balms, and CBD creams infused with lemon extracts or some other available products allow people to apply the substance directly to their problem regions.
However, CBD oil is the easiest and most direct way to use CBD for herpes. CBD oils are more powerful than creams because they can fit more CBD molecules into a smaller space and are more pure than the creams. As a result, they are better able to fight off herpes pathogens and heal inflammatory-induced sores and blisters more quickly.
Moreover not all the products are approved by regulatory bodies and you may not be sure to use them, then the FDA approved CBD oil can also be used directly to wounds, sores or blisters.
On the other side, if your outbreak is the result of the conditions like stress, depression and other immune suppressant infections then you can vape CBD or have it sublingually after consulting your doctor as it may interact with other medications.back to menu ↑
Benefits of CBD for Herpes
- CBD is potent in giving the same therapeutic benefits as like other cannabis compounds without getting you high.
- Antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties of cannabidiol can aid in the treatment of herpes simplex virus symptoms.
- CBD can aid in the treatment of herpes cold sores by preventing the growth of the virus.
- CBD aid in the healing of conditions such as stress, anxiety, and depression, all of which may intensify herpes outbreaks. It functions as a natural herpes relief by curing certain conditions.
- CBD interacts with cannabinoid receptors in the body, allowing it to promote optimal health and well-being.
- Because of its antioxidant properties, it is able to neutralize free radicals which make it an effective treatment for cold sores and other inflammatory skin conditions.
All these benefits are not clinically approved in direct relation to herpes. But CBD possessing these properties can benefit in treating herpes also. Anecdotal evidences are giving it a blow which eventually raising confidence in people to use it. Research is ongoing, may all of them will get approved soon.back to menu ↑
Treatment of herpes with medications other than CBD does have side effects including severe fatigue, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, irritability, and lack of sleep. CBD is well tolerated. It has seen that CBD taken in adequate amount doesn’t give many side effects. On other hand CBD taken in high doses or some mislabeled impure CBD taken can cause side effects like dry mouth, change in appetite, drowsiness and prolonged CBD smoking can damage lungs. It can also interact with other medications. No such side effects have been reported by anyone using CBD as topical.
Every person reacts different to its administration so the side effects do vary from person to person. Since in relevant to herpes there are no clinical trials to date, so it is difficult to conclude the side effects in case if herpes treatment with CBD.back to menu ↑