How to use CBD for Mood Swings | Everything you need to know
Cannabidiol (CBD) is a Phyto cannabinoid found in 1940.Along with tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), it is one of 113 cannabinoids present in cannabis plants, and it accounts for up to forty percent of the plant’s infusion.
Since 2019, clinical research on CBD has included studies associated with anxiety, cognition, and movement disorders; however there is inadequate high-quality ammunition that cannabidiol is effective for certain situations.
Internally, cannabidiol can be consumed in a variety of ways, including inhaling cannabis smoke or vapor, taking it by mouth, or spraying it into the cheek with an aerosol spray. CBD oil with just CBD as the active ingredient (no tetrahydrocannabinol [THC] or terpenes), CBD-dominant hemp extract oil, tablets, dried cannabis, or prescription liquid solution is all the options available.CBD is not at all a psychoactive substance.
CBD oils are available as CBD isolates, which ensures that CBD is the only active ingredient in that product. They can also be purchased as a full-spectrum or broad-spectrum substance, which means that they contain additional cannabidiol compounds.
As CBD is being linked with several ailments and it is also showing some attachment in treating mood swings. People who do not have other serious conditions such as anxiety, depression, or stress can regard mood swings as a natural part of life and be able to cope with them more easily than those who are currently experiencing mood swings as a result of other stress or anxiety-related conditions.
For them they are just not normal to tackle. To know about how it is being linked to mood swings, let’s have a look on mood swings i.e. what actually it is.
Moods Swings and Causes
Everyone has mood swings now and then, but if they happen often or are so severe that they interfere with your everyday life, including work and relationships, it may be a symptom of a more serious underlying condition that needs to be addressed.
Internal changes in our lives have an effect on our mood, but it’s not only what’s going on inside that defines how we feel; we also respond to what’s going on around us. Increased stress at home, school, or work, as well as external changes to our lives and environments, may have an effect on our emotions.
Failure to seek treatment for mood swings, which can be caused by severe diseases, can lead to serious complications and permanent harm.If the root cause has been found, it is important that you follow the recovery protocol that you and your health care provider have devised especially for you to prevent problems like:
- Memory loss, concentration issues, and poor judgments.
- Coma which is a state of unconsciousness.
- Problems at work, school, in social situations, and in relationships.
- Abuse and misuse of drugs and alcohol.
- Drug overdose or alcohol poisoning.
- Harmed social connections.
- Higher injury risk.
- Having legal or financial issues.
- Self-harm in the form of self-injury.
- Isolation from others.
- Suicide or homicide.
Some mood swings are caused by an underlying physiological/chemical disorder in the form of hormonal irregularity or neurochemical dysfunction, whereas others are caused by more temporary issues such as acute stress or even low blood sugar.
While the full chemical range of mood control is unknown, it is known that the neuromodulatory activity of serotonin and dopamine regulates changes in emotion and mood in large part. Irregularities in one (or both) of these chemicals can lead to erratic and unexpected changes in cognitive activity, pleasure/reward system behavior, and overall emotional response.
Several factors contribute to fluctuations in serotonin and dopamine levels in the body.They include:
- Bipolar dysfunction and significant depressive disorder.
- Hormone imbalances cause chemical imbalances in the brain and, as a result, mood swings.
- Changes in sleep patterns.
- Changes in diet.
- Disorders such as epilepsy, autism, including ADHD.
- Appetite suppressants, opioids, and anti-anxiety medications.
Depression can cause mood swings, particularly if it is left untreated. The mood of an individual can swing from irritability to intense depression to an angry outburst. To break the self-reinforcing patterns of either bipolar or depressed mood swings, cognitive behavioral therapy advises using emotional dampeners.Taking a constructive approach to controlling one’s own moods and varying sense of self-esteem includes learning to get oneself down from grandiose states of mind or up from exaggerated guilt states.
- MOOD SWING MANAGEMENT
- KEEPING A RECORD: Tracking moods will aid in a better understanding of emotional shifts and changes.Keeping a written record of one’s moods and journaling about them can assist some people in noticing trends in mood shifts as well as potential triggers.
- EXERCISING: Endorphins are hormones that help control stress and boost mood when you exercise. Even moderate exercise can help to alleviate mood swings that occur often or abruptly. Moreover yoga and meditation can make your mind relaxed and helps in improving mental thoughts.
- FOLLOWING A ROUTINE: Keeping a routine may be beneficial.Doing something at the same time every day will help you manage your emotions.
- HAVING HEALTHY DIET: Nutrition is regarded as an important factor in mood regulation.Getting enough nutrients and avoiding excessive sugar, alcohol, and caffeine consumption may help to reduce the frequency of mood swings.
- TAKING PROPER SLEEP: Sleep will make you feel better.Sleep deprivation can affect appetite and energy levels, as well as cause depression, irritability, and a general lack of happiness.
Research work on CBD for Mood Swings: –
Research makes people sure that it does work in alleviating the pain and disorders related to particular topic. It also tells people in what manner and up to what extent it will help you.
-In a survey conducted by cultivating wellness states that there are 1,631 People reported taking CBD for mood disorders. The majority of those taking CBD for a mood disorder said they were suffering from anxiety, depression, or both. People having these disorders are ranging from moderate conditions to severe conditions..
Taking CBD was particularly effective at reducing anxiety, according to the participants. 92% of people said CBD helped them feel good, and 68% said it helped them feel “much better” in relevant to nervousness and anxiety. CBD was also founded effective at alleviating panic attacks, mood swings, and feelings of anxiety, impatience, and sorrow.
-In a research published in 2019, states that CBD helps in treating conditions related to mood swings which eventually gave benefits in dealing with mood swings. The study was conducted on 924 people taking CBD and result was based on their reaction to CBD.
-An article published in 2020 considering CBD shown therapeutic benefits in alleviating mental health conditions like social anxiety disorders, ADHD, schizophrenia, comorbidities of ASD, insomnia, anxiety and bipolar disorder. This can be linked in treatment of mood disorders.
A 2013 pilot study observed that smokers who used inhalers holding CBD smoked fewer cigarettes than normal and ended craving nicotine. This implies that CBD may benefit people who want to quit smoking. As nicotine can trigger mood swings, so decreasing the want of nicotine by CBD can help with mood swings.
–There is insufficient data to recommend cannabidiol as a mood disorder treatment. Cannabidiol, on the other hand, may have a role as a treatment for mood disorders, based on preclinical and clinical evidence from other diseases. As a result, well-designed clinical trials exploring the efficacy of cannabidiol in mood disorders are urgently needed.back to menu ↑
How CBD Works?
As CBD is lacking direct linkage evidences related to mood swings. So one can’t say how it works in relevant to mood swing. On the other hand, it has been linked to your body’s ECS for treating different disorders. It works by reacting to endocannabinoid system (ECS) of mammals.
Endocannabinoids and cannabinoid receptors are the two components of the endocannabinoid system. Endocannabinoids are neurotransmitters that bind to cannabinoid receptors in all of the body’s tissues. CB1 and CB2 are the two forms of cannabinoid receptors. CB2 is found in peripheral tissues, the gastrointestinal system, and the immune system, while CB1 is concentrated in the brain.
By interacting with these receptors CBD provides therapeutic benefits for several ailments including anxiety, depression, epilepsy and others.back to menu ↑
Benefits of CBD for Mood Swings:
CBD holds numerous, potentially therapeutic outcomes that could help maintain your mood swings naturally. These include:
- It’s Anti-Inflammatory: – Neuroinflammation links to mood disorders and neuropsychiatric concerns. According to studies, CBD help reduces not only the inflammation all across the body but also neuroinflammation, which especially affects the brain and stimulates its decay. By helping you keep a healthy brain for longer, CBD helps enhance your mood and cognitive roles.
- It’s an Antidepressant: – CBD functions as a mild antidepressant by improving one’s mood and cognitive functions. It helps in dealing with stress, distress before public speaking, and cognitive impairment. Depression is usually due to low serotonin levels. Hence, even though CBD will not improve these levels immediately, it will alter the brain’s chemical receptors’ response to the serotonin previously in the body.
- It’s Antipsychotic: – One of the purposes, why CBD for mood swings might become completely popular, is because of its antipsychotic outcomes. The processes underlying its antipsychotic properties have gotten little attention. It is to be believed that dopaminergic transmission is modulated indirectly which makes it antipsychotic.
- It Offers Pain Relief: – CBD may grant relief for chronic pain. On top of that, there’s more of a link between chronic pain, anxiety, and depression. As a result, CBD has a two-fold effect, likely assisting you in reducing both chronic pain and the mood destabilizations that come with it.
- It Boosts Sleep: – Lack of sleep plays a vital function in mood disorders. Most people with mood swings undergo a lack of quality sleep. Sleeplessness can also lead to anxiety. However, CBD might be capable to treat insomnia and help boost your sleep patterns. It accomplishes this by restoring REM sleep to normalcy, allowing you to more efficiently get a sound sleep.
Ways to USE CBD for Mood Swings
Cannabidiol can be used internally in various ways, including by sniffing cannabis smoke or vapor, by mouth, and being an aerosol spray in the jowl. It may be provided as CBD oil with only CBD as the active component (no THC or terpenes).
CBD-rich hemp decoction oil, tablets, dehydrated cannabis, or prescription liquid solution are all options’ does not produce the same psychoactive effects as THC and may interfere with THC’s effects on the body if both are present.
CBD is derived from the hemp species of the cannabis plant and has shown effective for individuals including anxiety or mood swings. CBD soothes the body, soul and does not have any hallucinatory outcomes like Marijuana, but has antipsychotic effects.
CBD is obtainable in many different presentations. The CBD product you prefer depends on your specific preferences, as each of them has its pros and cons. They include:
- CBD Edibles: –These incorporate chocolates, candies, cookies, protein bars, and also snack. These edibles come in various forms, and you can even get vegan, gluten-free, and vegetarian variations.
- CBD Oils and Tinctures: – you can use them by adding to meals and beverages. For example, you can put them in your daily coffee or smoothie. You can further add a few drops to your preferred desserts.
- CBD Vape Pens: -Vaping is an example of the fastest way to ingest CBD and also one that has the most immediate impact as it goes directly into the bloodstream within the lungs.
- CBD Capsules: – Tablets are easy to take when linked to the other methods. They also do not have a particular flavor, and you can take discreetly when related to tinctures.
Most of the effective method of CBD administration is having it sublingually in the form of oils and vaping or smoking it. Both of these ways increases the bioavailability of the drug which means that these methods give more frequent effects.
Anyone thinking about trying CBD oil for the first time should speak with a qualified healthcare provider about their choices.
Taking CBD oil is a reasonably simple procedure.Individuals should always follow the guidelines given by the manufacturer.This will include the following in general:
- Before using the bottle, give it a good shake.
- Place a certain number of drops under the tongue with the dropper.Allowing the dropper to come into contact with the mouth may contaminate the oil.
- Before consuming, hold the oil under your tongue for 60–120 seconds.
- CBD oil can also be mixed into foods and drinks, such as yoghurts and juices.
- However, this may have an impact on the potency.
Often start with a small dose of CBD oil and gradually increase the dose and frequency and choose the accurate dose for you. CBD may be used at any time of the day according to the problem you want to deal with. Like if you want to get better sleep, you can take it before your bedtime.back to menu ↑
Side Effects of Using CBD
Although CBD is protected, note that everyone responds differently to it. Most people bear it well, but some people may report side effects when taking it. Likewise, it is tolerable by most of the people. Some of these side effects include diarrhea, dry mouth, drowsiness, and exhaustion. This almost always occurs when someone takes excessively large amounts of it.
Also, CBD is not compatible with some prescribed medicines; hence it is always recommended to talk to your doctor before taking it. Some medicines will decrease the benefits of CBD; thus, you will not see any variation. Therefore, talk to your doctor before starting and inform if any adverse reactions occurs.back to menu ↑
PROS AND CONS: –
CBD has both benefits and drawbacks when it comes to using. If you want the reasons to work for you or not, basically that depends on how you use them.