Ways to use CBD for Thyroid | Benefits | Side Effects | Dosage
First of all thyroid is not a disease, it is a gland of human endocrine system. The thyroid gland is found just below the lyrnx part in the lower front portion of your throat. It is made up of two lobes on either side of your windpipe that form a butterfly-like shape.
The thyroid is responsible for body weight, body temperature, muscle strength, and even mood regulation. Thyroid hormones also affect the nervous system, digestive tract, cardiovascular system, appetite, hair, skin, and nail development. Its proper functioning is dependent on a sufficient supply of iodine in the diet. It is interesting to know that on most of the above mentioned conditions, CBD can be having its impact.
According to American Thyroid Association, Thyroid disease affects more than 12% of the US population at some point in their lives. Thyroid disorder affects an estimated 20 million Americans. Upto 60% thyroid affected aren’t aware about their condition..
Mainly two kinds of hormones are produced by thyroid gland. The one is T3 and other one is T4. T3 is thyroxine and T4 is tri-iodothyronine. Non-regulation in the release of thyroid hormones causes several disorders. Despite the fact that the side effects can be unpleasant or uncomfortable, most thyroid disorders may be effectively managed if they are properly diagnosed and treated.
Two conditions are caused by the unregulated hormonal release. One is the Hyperthyroidism and other is Hypothyroidism.
Hyperthyroidism is a condition caused by an excess of thyroid hormone. Hypothyroidism is caused by a lack of hormone production. Both conditions can be caused by different other conditions also.
HYPERTHYROIDISM, overproduction of thyroid hormones can be caused by the conditions like;
- GRAVES DISEASE: Graves’ disease is an autoimmune thyroid disorder that is the most common cause of hyperthyroidism.
- SUBACUTE THYROIDITIS: Thyroid inflammation causes the gland to “leak” extra hormones, causing transient hyperthyroidism that lasts for a few weeks to few months.
- TOXIC ADENOMAS: Thyroid nodules form and begin which produces thyroid hormones, disrupting the body’s chemical balance causing hyperthyroidism.
- CANCEROUS GROWTH IN THYROID GLAND: Hyperthyroidism can occur as a result of this factor also, however it is uncommon.
HYPOTHYROIDISM, reduction in thyroid hormones also caused by these factors like:
- HASHIMOTO’S DISEASE: The body damages thyroid tissue in this autoimmune condition. When the tissue dies, it stops generating hormones and it is the most common cause of hypothyroidism.
- EXCESSIVE IODIDE EXPOSURE: Influenza and nasal drugs, the heart medication, and some contrast dyes used before X-rays can all cause excessive iodine exposure. If you’ve had thyroid issues in the past, you may be at a higher risk of developing hypothyroidism because of this cause.
- THYROID GLAND REMOVAL: The thyroid gland could have been physically removed or chemically eliminated can cause hypothyroidism.
How thyroid disorders affects normal body?
Problems caused by thyroid disorders can have an affect on a person’s day-to-day existence. It can cause changes like:
- Gain in weight.
- Anxiety, impatience, and nervousness.
- Difficulty in sleeping.
- Goitre or an enlarged thyroid gland.
- Tremors and physical weakness.
- Irregular menstrual cycle or pause your menstrual cycle.
- Experiencing visual issues or inflammation in the eyes.
- Heat intolerance.
- Weight gain.
- Having trouble in remembering things.
- Having heavy and frequent menstrual cycles.
- Dry or coarse hair.
- The condition of having a hoarse voice.
- Cold intolerance.
DIAGNOSIS of thyroid disorders can be through by blood tests, imaging tests and some physical tests. Self diagnosis of it by symptoms could not be possible as the symptoms are often mistaken with those of other illnesses. Though its cause is unknown, People who have a family history of thyroid problems are more likely to develop thyroid disorders. So, a regular check up can help you in diagnosis the problem, if you are from risk group.back to menu ↑
- BETA BLOCKERS: These drugs do not alter the amount of hormones in your body, but they do assist you manage your symptoms.
- THYROIDECTOMY: in this surgery, your thyroid is permanently removed. It is done for severe thyroid cancer and in the case of hyperthyroidism.
- EXTERNAL RADIATION: A beam of radiation is focused toward the thyroid, damaging the thyroid cells and assists in preventing the production of excessive thyroid hormones.
- ANTITHYROID DRUGS: Drugs that slows the excessive production of thyroid hormone in hyperthyroidism are known as antithyroid drugs. Methimazole and propylthiouracil are the common drugs of this category.
- THYROID HORMONE PILLS: A thyroid hormone pill is the main treatment used to treat hypothyroidism and to avoid thyroid cancer from returning following therapy. Commonly used drug of this category is levothyroxine.
You might be assuming that where is CBD in the treatments of thyroid disorders. CBD have been linked to treat several symptoms of thyroid disorders, though a complete research concerning CBD for thyroid only is required.back to menu ↑
Research work on CBD and Thyroid
Let’s start from the scientific papers available on the relation of CBD with thyroid. These evidences are the only way to mark the actual and proven benefits of CBD for thyroid problems over the anecdotal evidences.
- A study by lakiotaki et al concluded that CB receptors, particularly CB2 receptors, may interfere with molecular pathways involved in thyroid malignant transformation, and so could be used as therapeutic targets to slow malignant and beningn thyroid tumour progression.
- study came in 2002 on thyroid in rats, evidence of functioning cannabinoid receptors has been proposed. Both T3 and T4 hormone release seem to be influenced by these receptors. The findings revealed the presence of cannabinoid receptors within cells. These receptors have also been discovered in the hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus (PVN), a brain region that transmits signals to the thyroid. Within hours of administering the synthetic CB1 receptor agonist, experts noticed a 30% reduction in hormone secretion.
- Currently, there is shortage of human trials direct linkage of CBD to thyroid disorders. But it can help in giving relief from several thyroid conditions in one way or another. ECS plays important role in monitoring several body processes like: metabolism, sleeping patterns, pain, inflammation, muscle formation, skin and motor control. CBD and other cannabinoids work with the ECS to maintain body’s homeostasis. There are several studies showing that CBD works well for inflammation and pain and therefore, healing the symptoms of thyroid disorders related to it.
- CBD has also been shown to affect metabolism. The ECS plays an important role in metabolic regulation. Individuals with thyroid disorders may be able to balance their metabolism by using CBD as being a cannabinoiod it interacts with ECS receptors.
- Researchers found that the existence of ECS receptors on the thyroid gland and in the brain region that controls thyroid function is promising. CBD may help you control your symptoms if you have hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism.
In epitome, there are less human clinical trials available in relation to CBD with thyroid disorders. CBD may help you in alleviating the problems associated with thyroids including inflammation, pain, stress, depression, mood swings and metabolic problems. CBD may give you less severe or dreadful side effects as compare to its traditional treatments. Moreover, keep in mind that it may interact with your medications, as stated in the animal study. So, it is necessary to consult health practitioner if you want to shift to this treatment.back to menu ↑
How CBD works for Thyroid?
Basic working of CBD is through the interaction with endocannabinoid system, ECS. ECS is comprised of CB1 and CB2 cannabinoid receptors and CBD gave therapeutic benefits by interacting directly or indirectly with these receptors.
It is assumed that there is also involvement of endocrine glands of endocrine system in giving the benefits of CBD for thyroid disorders. Endocrine system regulates several glands including thyroid which further produces several hormones to maintain processes like metabolism, appetite, mood, growth and development, sexual functions and overall well being of the body.
ECS is also seemed to be involved in the regulation of endocrine system affecting endocrine gland’s activity and this effect on body’s hormonal levels. As stated earlier that the existence of ECS receptors on the thyroid gland and in the brain region that controls thyroid function is promising. In above mentioned study, evidence of functioning cannabinoid receptors of ECS has been proposed. Both T3 and T4 hormone release seem to be influenced by cannabinoid receptors. In that animal study, within hours of administering the synthetic CB1 receptor agonist, experts noticed a 30% reduction in hormone secretion.
CBD also interacts with a variety of other bodily receptors, including the 5-HT1A receptor, which is linked to serotonin, a neurotransmitter connected to emotions of happiness. These cannabinoids promote healing and equilibrium as a result of this interaction.
SO, by working on endocannabinoid system CBD regulates the hormonal release of endocrine system’s gland and giving therapeutic benefits by alleviating several symptoms of thyroid disorder likepain, chronic thyroid inflammation, stress, anxiety and other neurological problems.back to menu ↑
How CBD can be used f or Throid?
CBD can be used in a variety of ways to treat symptoms including pain, depression, anxiety, dry skin, and inflammation that are typically associated with thyroid issues. The method of CBD administration that an individual chooses is determined by their personal preferences and circumstances.
There are lots of products out in the market, it’s on you and your present demand on the basis of which you have to choose what is required. CBD in the form of edibles, oils, capsules, topical, drinks, skin care products, pain healing sprays, balms and vaping of CBD are the options for you. If you wanna use it particularly for healing the symptoms of specific ailment and doesn’t want any psychoactive effect then you must go for isolate CBD and broad spectrum CBD products. If you wanna experience THC also then you can choose something from full spectrum CBD.
The most effective way of CBD administration is taking it orally or under the tongue. This way you will get the rapid results than from any other way.
The main topic of discussion when it comes to CBD is DOSAGE. People are generally curious about the precise dosage; however the truth is that CBD has no fixed dosage. There are certain recommendations and by hit n trial method it is possible that people may come to know about the effective dosage for themselves. It is also recommended to tart from the possible low dosage then increase it gradually until it is giving that required effect. Everyone reacts different to CBD so the one working for other doesn’t mean it will be effective as same for you.
The proper CBD dosage for thyroid disease can be determined by the severity of your symptoms. Because everyone’s reaction to CBD is different, it’s crucial to pay attention to your body and adjust your amount as needed while keeping an eye out for signs of improvement. As it may interact with some medications, so it is recommended to consult health practitioner before giving it a trial.back to menu ↑
Benefits of CBD for Thyroid disorders
- Strong anti-inflammatory properties of CBD can help in healing chronic thyroid inflammation.
- Analgesic properties of CBD can help in healing from severe painful conditions without giving the side effects you got by prolonged use of painkillers.
- Cannabidiol aids in the elimination or reduction of thyroid related symptoms like insomnia, tiredness, migraines and other pains, irritability, anxiety and depression.
- CBD’s immunomodulatory qualities might cause good bodily reactions not just in terms of reducing thyroiditis symptoms, but also by directly affecting the harmful inflammatory process.
- CBD can help patients get a good night’s sleep, improve attention, reduce anxiety and depression, and relieve or eliminate irritating headaches, muscles, and joints.
- CBD acting on CB receptor could be used as therapeutic targets to slow malignant and benign thyroid tumor progression.
Side effects of CB forThyroid
Because there aren’t enough human clinical trials on CBD for thyroid issues, so it is merely difficult to conclude the possible side effects. However general side effects related to CBD could be dry mouth, change in appetite or other effects that can be vary from person to person.
Moreover, if used in high doses it is seen that people are facing dizziness, some liver problems. The one who are vaping or smoking CBD they might faces some respiratory problems. CBD’s interaction with other medication could proof it not much useful for some people so it is recommended to consult before using it, especially if you are already taking other medicines.back to menu ↑